I created the dairy sliced sourdough bread recipe which has a texture extremely close to gluten. Now, I proudly introduce this gluten free dairy free sourdough bread recipe and video. I like this version even better! This recipe may also be made in an oven or bread machine with a gluten free setting. More videos about this recipe to come soon. Enjoy!
Watch a short video showing the texture of this gluten free sliced sourdough bread.
Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Sourdough Bread Recipe
A sliced gluten free dairy free sourdough recipe that keeps fresh longer on the counter or months in the freezer.
- 2-1/4 cups Carla's Gluten Free Sourdough Starter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup neutral-flavored oil (I used light olive oil)
- 2 large egg whites
- 2-1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar, organic if desired (or honey)
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons potato starch
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/16 teaspoon citric acid (recommended, but may be omitted)
- Whisk together the sourdough starter, water, and brown rice flour; set aside to ferment for 1 - 4 hours or until bubbly.
To Make in a Bread Machine with a Gluten Free Setting:
- Add the oil, sourdough starter-rice flour mixture, eggs, sugar or honey; set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the potato starch, cornstarch, xanthan gum, yeast, and salt. If you desire a sour taste, also add the citric acid. Using 1/32 will only lend a slightly sour flavor. So, use 1/16 for more.
- Add the dry mixture to the bread machine. Set the machine to Gluten Free and bake according to instructions and press start. Using a silicone spatula, help stir the mixture so that all dry flour becomes moist. After mixing completes and rising begins, remove the mixing paddle if desired.
- (My Breadman BK1050S takes 31 minutes from hitting the Start Button to the beginning of the rise cycle. It takes 3 hours to mix, rise, and bake.)
- Remove from machine and remove bread immediately. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, 2 hours.
To Make in an Oven:
- Preheat oven to 350?F.
- Oil a 9 x 5 loaf pan; dust with rice flour and tap out any excess flour; set aside.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients and set aside. Add the wet ingredients to the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer in the order listed. Beat on high speed for 4 minutes. Scoop dough into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle top with water and smooth out using a silicone spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove from oven and remove bread immediately. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, 2 hours. (If you slice it when it's still warm, it may be gummy.)
A sourdough starter seldom turns out the same. So, see how your environment makes yours turn out. If it is too sour, omit the citric acid next time. If it's not sour enough, increase the citric acid.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.