This gluten free sliced sourdough bread recipe has an amazing texture that can be used for sandwiches or toast. Make it in a bread machine with a gluten free setting or an oven. It has taken me several attempts of experimentation to achieve its gluten-like texture. You can see it for yourself in my YouTube video which is also included on the recipe page. It is similar in texture to my Gluten Free Sourdough French Loaf Recipe, but is less starchy and more gluten-like. Enjoy!
Update: I also created a dairy free version.
The perfect sliced gluten free sourdough bread that you can make in an oven or a bread machine with a gluten free setting.
- 2-1/4 cups Carla's Gluten Free Sourdough Starter
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup neutral-flavored oil (I used light olive oil)
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, organic if desired (or honey)
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons potato starch
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1 tablespoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/32 to 1/16 teaspoon citric acid* (optional)
- Whisk together the sourdough starter and brown rice flour; set aside to ferment for 1 - 4 hours or until bubbly.
- Add the oil, sourdough starter-rice flour mixture, eggs, sugar or honey; set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the potato starch, cornstarch, nonfat dry milk, xanthan gum, yeast, and salt. If you desire a heavier sour taste, also add the citric acid.
- Add the dry mixture to the bread machine. Set the machine to Gluten Free and bake according to instructions and press start. Using a silicone spatula, help stir the mixture so that all dry flour becomes moist. After mixing completes and rising begins, remove the mixing paddle, if desired.
- (My Breadman BK1050S takes 31 minutes from hitting the Start Button to the beginning of the rise cycle. It takes 3 hours to mix, rise, and bake.)
- Remove from machine and remove bread immediately. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, 2 hours.
- Oil a 9 x 5 loaf pan; dust with rice flour and tap out any excess flour; set aside.
- Add the above ingredients to a heavy-duty stand mixer in the order as instructed in the Bread Machine Method. Beat on high speed for 4 minutes. Scoop dough into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle top with water and smooth out using a silicone spatula.
- Allow the dough to rise 40 minutes or until the top just begins to crack.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF about 20 minutes into the rising cycle.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove from oven and remove bread immediately. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, 2 hours.
*Gluten free sourdough is often less sour than traditional sourdough bread. Adding citric acid creates a more sour taste; however, it also creates a leavening effect. Too much leavener is not good for any baked good and will cause your bread to fall.
2 Replies to “Gluten Free Sourdough Sliced Bread”
I love your recipes, and I’m using this one to dip my toe into the sourdough world. It’s in the machine now, but I’m afraid I may have messed it up – how wet should your starter be? As in, what should the texture of the starter and the new rice flour in the recipe be? I think mine was too dry – it formed a thick dough, but on rereading the recipe it looks like it should have been wetter?
Thank you. I’m glad to hear that you’re enjoying my gluten-free recipes.
The sourdough starter should be like the consistency of a thick pancake batter.