Be sure to make a huge batch of these addictive cookies. You will consider these gluten free macadamia nut cookies perfection if you enjoy chewy cookies. They are so flavorful with soft centers and have slightly crisp edges. Their weight is not heavy at all. They are on the light side if anything. I’ve never had a cookie like them! These cookies are loaded with flavor, chocolate, and nuts. If you own a bakery, watch them fly out of the display case. If you’re making them at home, watch them fly out of your cookie jar, if they make it to the jar at all! These cookies are my husband’s new favorite cookie and mine as well. It says a lot about them because his favorite cookie hasn’t ever changed in his entire life, until now!
Check out their texture in the Gluten Free Macadamia Nut Cookies Video.
Gluten Free Macadamia Nut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter or dairy-free margarine (Smart Balance), at room temperature
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons packed light/golden brown sugar
- 1 large egg (or 2 tablespoons liquid from a can of cannellini beans + 1 tablespoon butter/margarine)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups Carla's All Purpose Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour Blend
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 ounces chopped roasted, unsalted macadamia nuts (or 1.75 ounces raw shelled hemp seeds)
- 1-1/2 cups (9 ounces) semi-sweet gluten free chocolate chips (Nestle's) (or Enjoy Life for dairy-free)
Cream together the butter and sugars using your electric mixer, preferably using a paddle attachment, on medium speed.
Add the egg and vanilla and beat continue to beat, just until combined.
Distribute the flour on top of the wet mixture. Then, evenly distribute the baking soda and salt on top of the flour.
Beat on low speed, slowly increasing to medium to prevent flour from flying everywhere. Mix just until combined.
Add the chocolate chips and nuts and mix until evenly distributed.
Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and shape into a log about 14 - 16-inches long. Refrigerate until cold, 45 - 60 minutes.
While the dough chills, line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper; set aside.
Fifteen minutes prior to the dough completing the chilling cycle, preheat the oven to 325ºF.
Spoon 1 measuring tablespoonful of dough for each cookie on a prepared baking sheet, spacing 2 inches apart. Twelve cookies fit nicely on each baking sheet (17x12-inches).
Bake on the center shelf of the oven 10 minutes.
Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 1 - 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Replace 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips with gluten free peanut butter or white chocolate chips.