A friend of a friend shared this recipe with me, but I had to alter it to make it gluten-free. It can also be made dairy-free, if necessary. I added an alternative sauce, too! You really can use any sauce you like: spaghetti, Alfredo, pizza, brown gravy, etc. You also can add sauteed onion for additional flavor, especially if not using any sauce at all. You can remove any ingredients that you do not think children may enjoy. I hope you find this recipe useful. It is great for freezing, too! You can defrost as many as you need and reheat.
Gluten-free Meatloaf Muffins
A kid-friendly meatloaf recipe, made into muffins and topped with cheese. Use your favorite sauce or pizza sauce.
- 1 lb. lean ground beef or the meat of your choosing (bison is great, too!)
- 1 1/2 to 1 2/3 cups Gluten Free Seasoned Croutons
- 1/3 cup yellow onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 egg beaten (or egg replacer)
- A few teaspoons of spaghetti sauce (or pizza sauce or your favorite sauce), if using for tops (optional)
- Cheddar cheese or the cheese of your liking (or sub with Daiya vegan cheese)
- Mix together beef and croutons. Add salt and pepper, if using.
- Place the meat mixture into cupcake pans and form mounds.
- With your finger, make a hole in the middle of each one with your thumb, about 3/4 way down.
- Add spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce to each hole using the tip of a teaspoon. Because I am allergic to tomatoes I did not make holes in a few of them and skipped the sauce completely. It was yummy, despite no sauce. Add more sauce to the top if you have eaters who like a lot of sauce, similar to meatloaf made with ketchup.
- Cook at 350°F for about a 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Top with shredded cheese and place back in oven and cook for 1 minute or until cheese is melted.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.