It is very popular now to serve savory dishes that are usually sweet. I have been wanting to create a savory french toast for some time now and finally did. I believe the type of bread you use sets a tone for this dish. You must use a gluten-free bread that is soft in texture and has holes in order for the egg mixture to be absorbed. I used Udi’s Gluten-free White Sandwich Bread. As soon as I started soaking the bread in the egg I could smell a sweetness to it which is not what I originally wanted. I find that most soft textured gluten-free breads are higher in sugar than heavier breads. I look forward to making this with Udi’s Gluten-free Whole Grain Bread and see if it is as sweet. However, I do have to say this was a tasty dish! Adding the fresh ripened peaches tied it all together. This would make an ideal and easy brunch!
Savory Gluten Free French Toast
A savory gluten free French toast recipe using an absorbable gluten free bread.
- 5 slices of gluten-free bacon
- 5 - 6 slices of Udi's gluten-free bread or comparable brand
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk or milk substitute (almond milk, etc.)
- Shredded cheese of your choice (Daiya brand is dairy-free and vegan)
- Cook bacon to your desired crispness. Drain grease out of pan and set pan aside if you wish to cook your french toast in the residue of bacon grease.
- In a shallow bowl beat eggs and whisk in milk.
- Soak bread for about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Preheat your oven's broiler to high so that you can melt the cheese once done.
- Set bread aside. It will become more tender and moist upon sitting.
- Preheat frying pan with extra virgin olive oil or the same pan used for the bacon.
- Fry the french toast on both sides on medium-high heat until golden brown.
- Arrange shredded cheese on top of each piece and then layer with pieces of bacon; arrange fanned out on a plate.
- Pl ace under broiler until cheese is melted.
- Add fresh fruit to the plate and enjoy!
Udi's brand gluten free bread is dairy-free, but contains eggs, and is not chemical/additive-free.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.