Many have marked my Gluten Free Cream Cheese Pound Cake Recipe and/or Gluten Free Heavenly Pound Cake Recipe as their favorite pound cake(s). However, I thought you may appreciate having a Gluten Free Sour Cream Pound Cake Recipe in case you have some sour cream on hand. Add the optional glaze, or flavor them all with lemon if desired. It’s pretty yummy!
Gluten Free Sour Cream Pound Cake
Sour cream and cream cheese make the perfect textured pound cakes. They make them lighter and softer. Try this gluten free sour cream pound cake to find out for yourself! It contains the perfect balance of butter, sugar, and sour cream.
- 2 cups Carla's Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour Blend, plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature and softened
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup gluten free sour cream (most are GF)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 zest of lemon (optional)
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- Cooking oil or gluten-free spray oil, for pan
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 3-1/2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (or milk)
For the Pound Cake:
For the Optional Icing:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Oil a 9 x 5-inch non-stick loaf pan and dust with flour.
- Whisk together the flour blend, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with its paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth, scraping bowl at least once midway through mixing.
- Mix in the sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, on medium speed until fluffy, 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition until combined. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, as needed.
- Add the sour cream and vanilla, and if using, lemon zest. Beat on low speed just long enough to combine.
- Sift one-third of the flour mixture at a time into the batter, beating after each addition and scraping bowl.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan, and distribute evenly.
- Bake on center rack of the preheated oven until the center no longer jiggles, about 55 - 60 minutes. Test for doneness every 5 minutes beginning at 55 minutes. To test, insert a skewer near the center. When you remove it and it comes out clean, it's done. (Note: The cake being a tiny bit underdone is better than overdone because it will continue to bake slightly when cooling in the pan.)
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and transfer it directly to the wire rack to cool completely, 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- Serve the pound cake within 24 hours or slice, wrap in individual servings in plastic wrap and freeze in a gallon-sized storage bag. Defrost frozen slices at room temperature.
- Whisk together the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice (or milk, if not making a lemon pound cake) until smooth.
- Drizzle icing over the top of the cake and allow it to drip down the sides.
To Make the Pound Cake:
To Make the Optional Icing:
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.
One Reply to “Gluten Free Sour Cream Pound Cake”
I made this for an Easter dessert served with pineapple, mango purée. Delicious.