This gluten free gluten free thumbprint cookies recipe is sugar-free and egg-free. It is healthier than many other gluten free cookie recipes because it is made with almond flour alone. It does not contain any grain flour or starch. It very similar to shortbread cookies, but contains less butter. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we have.
A gluten free thumbprint cookies recipe using only almond flour. Fill with your choice of jam, peanut butter, chocolate, and more!
- 2 1/2 cups Blanched Almond Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup "light" maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Thick fruit jam, for filling
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the almond flour, baking soda, and salt together.
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat the melted butter, maple syrup, and vanilla together until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and beat until the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 1 hour over overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Form the dough into one tablespoon-sized scoops and roll them into balls using your hands.
- Place the balls onto a lightly-oiled baking sheet and slightly flatten them. Using your thumb or a spoon, press into each cookie leaving a thumbprint in the center.
- Add a small amount of jam or other filling in the center of each cookie.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the cookies begin to brown along edges. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for about 3 minutes. Then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- These thumbprint cookies are best served the same day because almond flour tends to soften quickly. However, you may reheat then in a 200°F oven for about 5 minutes to crisp them back up.
Feel free to use other fillings such as peanut butter, nutella, melted chocolate thinned with warm heavy whipping cream, gluten free chocolate chunks and more.
For a truer cookie dough replace up to half of the almond flour with potato and/or cornstarch. Bob's Red Mill makes non-GMO cornstarch.
2 Replies to “Sugar-Free Gluten Free Thumbprint Cookies with Almond Flour”
I have nut allergies. Is there another flour that might work as well as almond flour?
I developed this recipe especially for the use of almond flour. For a nut-free cookie, try my recent shortbread cookie recipe. Though it is neapolitan-style, you can leave out the additional ingredients such as food coloring and make them into a single dough. Here’s the link: http://glutenfreerecipebox.com/gluten-free-shortbread-cookies-neapolitan/