I discovered how to make mayonnaise much faster than traditional methods. I’ve tried using a high-powered mixer and food processor in the past, but they are extremely slow compared to this method. Using an immersion blender is the key! There are infinite variation possibilities. See the “Tips” section for suggestions.
Note: I use vinegar in my recipe because I’m allergic to citrus. You may use lemon juice, which is the standard ingredient for mayonnaise. Grey Poupon dijon mustard also contains lemon juice. So, I use French’s brand of dijon mustard.
You can also make mayonnaise without vinegar or lemon juice, (also without mustard, which often includes lemon or vinegar) if you avoid these ingredients. Add a little sugar to use as a preservative. If you can tolerate cream of tartar, it will provide some acidic value. If you can’t try adding one of the suggested variation ingredients for flavor.
Note: Be sure to use pasteurized eggs.
How to Make Mayonnaise in 5 Minutes – Naturally Gluten Free
A super fast and easy recipe for homemade mayonnaise. Add your favorite herbs or seasonings
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 - 3 teaspoons white distilled vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free dijon mustard (French's or Grey Poupon)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup light in flavor olive oil (or other neutral-flavored oil)
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon agave syrup (or sugar or pinch of stevia) (optional)
- 1 handheld immersion blender
- Add egg, egg yolk, vinegar or lemon juice, agave or sugar, mustard, salt, and oil into a narrow, 2-cup container, preferably the one that accompanied your immersion blender kit. You'll notice that the oil will float to the top. That's what you want.
- Place the blender at the very bottom of the container and blend until the bottom begins to cream and turn into mayonnaise. Then on occasion, slightly lift the blender to allow a little more oil to dip down into the bottom. The mayonnaise should be done within 2 minutes of blending. (Mine took 1 minute 50 seconds.)
- Add water and agave (or other sweetener) and mix again.
- Store in a covered, airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Low-Fat: You can make a lower-fat mayonnaise by omitting the additional egg yolk.
Garlic: Add 2 cloves roasted garlic. To roast garlic see steps 1 - most of 6 here.
Basil: Add a few fresh basil leaves.
Pepper: Add 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper.
Smoky: Add 1/2 teaspoon, or to taste, smoked paprika.
Honey Mustard: Add a little additional mustard and some honey.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.