This dish is not only delicious, but very easy and fast to make. I use a precooked, frozen organic brown rice that I get at Trader Joe’s. Now for the taste…You know how bacon makes everything taste great. Well, between the saltiness, sweetness and spices of the sausage and the sweetness from all the different peppers this dish is addicting! I bet you go back for seconds, maybe even thirds! It’s one of those dishes that when you’re putting away leftovers (if there are any) you just have to have one more bite!
Italian Sausage Rice Casserole
A flavorful gluten free casserole made from rice and gluten free sausages.
- 5 gluten-free Italian Sausages, mild or sweet (See Gluten Free Products List for brands.)
- 2 cups red, yellow and orange peppers, thinly sliced (a little larger than matchsticks)
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 4 cups organic brown rice, cooked (Trader Joe's brand, frozen, saves on time)
- Remove sausage from casings and discard skins.
- Add meat to heavy skillet, break apart and brown on medium-high to high heat.
- Remove sausage and let drain on a few paper towels.
- Wipe majority of the grease from the pan, leaving a little bit for sauteing the vegetables.
- Add onion and peppers to pan and cook until tender.
- Add cooked sausage and rice and toss.
- Serve warm and refrigerate any left overs.
The key to this dish is choosing a sausage that you enjoy. Not all sausages and their spices are alike. Some contain a lot of anise seed, which tastes like black licorice, which I do not care for. Choice your favorite.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.