This gluten free appetizer is definitely a touchdown! I’m sure it will be the hit of any celebration! Using my mini rolls recipe and any of the several dips from Bacon and Cheddar to Philly Cheesesteak, you’ll have yourself a party in no time. This is a perfect gluten free appetizer for game day or any day you wish to make special. Watch the video here.
Mini Gluten Free Appetizer Rolls and Cheesy Dips
Soft and tender mini gluten free appetizer rolls dipped in several creamy and cheesy dips.
- Make the sauce that is listed on the Zucchini Casserole recipe page. Use the cheese and ingredients listed below in the variation you would like to make. So, instead of Monterey Jack cheese that is listed in the recipe, use Mozzarella or Cheddar, whichever the recipe indicates. Then fold in the other ingredients listed below once the cheese sauce is made.
- To Make Philly Cheesesteak Dip: Use Mozzarella cheese. Add 1 cup shredded chuck beef that has been simmering in gluten free beef broth for 2 hours. Also, saute 1 cup of yellow onion and one 7-ounce can of gluten free diced green peppers in a little oil. Then add this to the sauce as well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- To Make Spinach and Artichoke Dip: Use Mozzarella cheese. Add 1/2 cup each, chopped artichoke hearts from a can and thawed spinach. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- *To Make Cheddar and Bacon Dip: Use half Cheddar Cheese and half Mozzarella. Chop raw bacon and fry until just crisp. Stir the bacon into the dip. If desired, saute 1/2 a medium onion in a little bacon grease and add that as well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add gluten free hot sauce, if desired. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- *To Make Buffalo Chicken Dip: In place of the milk, use 1/2 cup gluten free blue cheese dressing (Marie's) and 1/2 cup gluten free buffalo sauce. (There are a number of gluten free brands Walmart.) Then thin with a little milk, if necessary. Then add 2 cups shredded, boiled chicken. (Boil chicken pieces until tender, about 15 minutes and shred once cool enough to handle.) Add additional flour or cheese to thicken to the consistency you enjoy. Keep in mind that it thickens as it cools. Season to taste with salt.
To Make the Dipping Rolls:
- Make the Soft Mini Gluten Free Hamburger Buns recipe as indicated in the above link. Fill each cavity to the top. They puff up quite nicely due to the added baking powder. Baste them with butter prior to baking and after they come out of the oven. If you tolerate dairy, use melted butter in the dough instead of oil.
- Warm the dip, add it to the center of a serving platter, and place the rolls around the bowl of dip. Serve immediately. If the rolls cool off prior to serving, warm them in the microwave on low to medium. If the dip cools and becomes solid, reheat on reheat/medium-high in the microwave.
*I look forward to making these rolls again and adding a little garlic and Parmesan cheese.
To make any of the above dip rich and creamy, add heavy whipping cream, sour cream, and/or gluten free cream cheese (Philadelphia).
Don't be afraid to make these dips your own. Substitute cheeses as you see fit, trying to keep with a similar texutre and softness. Then, thicken, thin, and season as desired.
Make the dip ahead of time and freeze. However, freezing breaks the thickening. You'll need to add it to a saucepan bring almost to a boil and add additional flour as necessary.
Feeding a Large Crowd:
You can even make a triple batch of rolls and place them around a rimmed baking sheet. Then in the form of a T. You can then fill each of the four sections with each of the four dips. Now, that's the way to feed a crowd!
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.