Banana nut ice cream is one of my top 5 favorite ice creams! I created this recipe for my holiday guests and they all enjoyed it very much. My sister, who professes she will not touch a banana, even enjoyed it! I made this banana ice cream in my ice cream maker, but almost ice creams can be made just by freezing it in an airtight container. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we have. Topped with homemade gluten-free hot fudge is heavenly!
Rich Gluten Free Banana Ice Cream
A homemade banana ice cream recipe that is naturally gluten free.
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup sugar (depending upon your tastes)*
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup ripe banana, mashed
- 1-3/4 cups non-fat milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (or half & half)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- In a food processor blend sugar, eggs and bananas.
- Bring non-fat milk and cream to a boil in heavy 2 qt. saucepan.
- Add half of the milk mixture to the food processor a little bit at a time until well blended. Do not add it all at once or will end up with scrambled eggs in the mixture.
- Add the above mixture back to the rest of the milk mixture left in the pan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon, until mixture coats the back of spoon like when you make pudding, (do not allow boil). If you see any lumps use a whisk and whisk them out.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool in refrigerator until at least room temperature, but cold is preferred.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Add cold mixture to ice cream machine according to directions provided by manufacturer. I have a 2 qt. Cuisinart and it took about 30 minutes to freeze. If adding nuts, add them when the ice cream is almost frozen, at the end. I prefer my nuts more crunchy and just add them to the top of the ice cream or stir them in before serving.
- Freeze for at least 2 hours.
- Freeze leftovers in air tight container. Thaw out for about 15 minutes before serving or take your chances in the microwave for a few seconds at a time, testing for the desired softness. I place a double batch of this recipe, after it has been frozen for about a day, in the microwave for about 60 seconds or more. Therefore, one quart should be soft enough after 30 seconds on high.
- Top with your favorite topping. My husband likes chocolate morsels and I love walnuts.
- Makes one quart. If you have a 2 quart machine just double the recipe.
*I used 3/4cup sugar , which my guests enjoyed, but I would prefer 1/2 cup.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.