Without the use of corn dextrin, rice bran, calcium enzymes, and calcium sulfates (like the original recipe), you can make this copycat gluten free whole grain 5-seed bread recipe similar to Three Bakers brand. This bread is flavorful, seedy, and has the texture of sliced sourdough. It also stays fresher longer than traditional gluten free homemade bread.
Three Bakers Whole Grain 5-Seed Bread
- 1-1/2 cups brown rice flour or white (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 cup cornstarch Bob’s Red Mill
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour Bob’s Red Mill
- 1/4 cup golden flaxseed meal or brown, but it will show (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 2 tablespoons finely ground potato flour Bob’s Red Mill
- 1 tablespoon xanthan gum Arrowhead Mill
- 1 tablespoon baking powder Rumford’s
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons sugar organic
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 3 large eggs* at room temperature
- 1/4 cup oil I used avocado
- 1 teaspoon 5% acidic vinegar I used cane vinegar
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds raw
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds I used sprouted
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds raw
- 1/2 teaspoon chia seeds raw, I used white chia seeds)
- 1/2 teaspoon whole flaxseeds as in the original recipe – or poppy seeds (optional)
Liberally oil a 9 x 5-inch metal loaf pan; set aside.
Add the water to a 2-cup measuring cup and add the sugar and honey. Microwave until it reaches about 110°F (not over 220°F). Stir in the yeast and set aside until foamy.
While the yeast activates, whisk together the dry ingredients (rice flour, cornstarch, tapioca flour, flaxseed meal, potato flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
To the bowl of your stand mixer, fitted with the balloon attachment, add the eggs, oil, vinegar, and foamy yeast mixture; beat on medium-low until just combined. Add the flour mixture all at once and beat on medium speed, still using the balloon attachment, for 2 minutes.
While the dough mixes, combine the seeds in a cup: sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, sesame seeds, chia seeds, and optional whole flax seeds or poppy seeds. Set aside 2 tablespoons of this seed mixture for garnishing the top of the dough. Add the remaining seeds to the dough and mix another 3 minutes on medium speed.
Scoop the dough into the prepared pan and level out as best you can. Using wet fingers, smooth out the top of the dough. Rinse off your fingers and sprinkle the seeds on top. Using moistened fingers pat the seeds into the dough.
Allow the dough to rise in a warm environment 80 – 85°F, for about 45 minutes or until the dough, in the center of the bread, reaches about 1/2-inch from the rim of the pan. (It will take longer in colder environments.)
Fifteen minutes prior to the completion of the rising of the dough, preheat the oven to 400°F with a shelf in the bottom third of the oven.
Bake for 55 minutes, rotating about half way through the baking cycle and covering with foil when browned to your liking.
Immediately remove from the pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Slice using an electric slicer, electric knife, or serrated knife.
*To Make Egg-Free:
Replace each egg yolk with 3 tablespoons fat of choice like cream or full-fat coconut oil or full-fat coconut milk. Replace each egg white with 2 tablespoon liquid from a can of mildly flavored white beans like white kidney/cannellini beans.