I have never made banana fritters, have never had gluten free banana fritters, and haven’t eaten any in decades, but I was watching a cooking show that provided me with some tips on deep frying batter which makes these gluten free banana fritters (or mango) nice and crispy, and prevents the oil from penetrating deep into the fruit. This is a light crispy batter. Very yummy!
A scrumptious gluten free fritter recipe used with any non-juicy fruit such as bananas, mangos, etc.
- Extra virgin olive oil or grape seed oil for deep frying (See "Tips" below for additional choices.)
- 2 ripe bananas (You can use any ripe fruit. Just avoid citrus or any very juicy fruit. I used 1 banana and 1 mango.)
- 2 eggs (separated)
- 2/3 cup almond milk, (or milk of your choosing; high protein or cow's milk preferred)
- 1 Tablespoon melted butter
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon sugar, agave, or sugar substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- Maple syrup and cinnamon (optional)
- Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
- Preheat a deep fryer to 375° F.
- Whisk together butter, egg yolks and milk.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Mix wet ingredients with dry; refrigerate until needed.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Fold egg whites into batter.
- Slice the bananas at an angle into 4 pieces.
- If the fruit you use is wet, such as the ends of the bananas where they were cut, dip them in some flour (any type will do. I used tapioca flour) or powdered sugar.
- Dip each banana piece, one at the time, using your fingers. Coat all sides.
- Deep fry for 2-1/2 to 3 minutes. (Turn with tongs to keep even browning and preventing it from sticking to the basket, if using a deep fryer.) You can also use a pot with a thermometer, but it is sometimes difficult to keep the heat at an even temperature. If you use a pot and oil, turn the heat down once the temperature reaches 375° F.
Check oil smoke points for oils that can withstand 375° F heat. Note
To make these with gluten flour, substitute the white rice flour with all purpose flour.
Mix maple syrup and cinnamon together well; heat if desired; pour onto saucer, place banana fritters on top of the sauce; and serve additional syrup on the side in case someone wants more. Dust the banana fritters with powdered sugar using a sifter or strainer, or with cinnamon sauce, or plain. Serve warm.