This gluten free caramel candy recipe makes soft and chewy, gluten free candy. You can wrap them individually to eat as candy or use them in cookies and other gluten free desserts. I made this recipe to use in my upcoming gluten free salted caramel cashew cookies. These caramels are so buttery sweet that they melt in your mouth. Enjoy!
Homemade Gluten Free Candy Caramel (Corn-Free)
A recipe for soft, chewy, gluten free caramel to eat plain or use in your favorite gluten free recipes.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup gluten free Lundberg Brown Rice Syrup (or dark corn syrup)
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 7/8 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Oil or gluten free olive oil spray, for pan
- Line an eight inch square pan heavy duty aluminum foil or parchment paper, so that it overlaps for easy removal. Oil all sides and set it aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, mix the butter, cream, and salt and heat until the butter melts. Then set it aside.
- In a 3-quart saucepan, add the sugar, brown rice syrup, and water and cook over medium-high heat. Once it begins to boil, carefully stir the center of the sugar, without splashing any on the sides of the pan. Cook for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the sugar smells close to being burnt or a candy thermometer reaches 250°F for soft caramel or 320°F for firm caramel.
- Remove the sugar saucepan from the burner and pour in the cream and butter mixture. (Be careful as it will bubble up quite a bit.) Stir gently, beginning from the center and do not splash on the sides of the pan.
- Return the sauce pan to the burner and cook over a medium-high to high heat until the temperature reaches 250°F, about 3 minutes. (There is no need to stir it.)
- Remove the pan from the burner and stir gently. Pour the caramel sauce into the prepared pan and set it aside to cool at room temperature to cool and set or refrigerate to speed up this process. Once cooled, you may cover with plastic wrap or foil and store at room temperature or the refrigerator.
- Cut the caramel into squares and wrap in small sheets of wax paper, or use them in your favorite recipes.
This recipe makes 2/5-inch (1 centimeter) high caramels. If you desire perfectly square caramels, 2.5 times this recipe and allow additional time for cooling.
For firm, chewy caramel, use only 1/2 cup of cream.
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.