I promised you all my gluten free onion gravy recipe, and here it is. Whether you leave in the onion pieces or puree until smooth, this is an easy, delicious gravy. You can make this sauce virtually any color you chose. If you wish a brown gravy, add a tiny bit of Kitchen Bouquet; use some milk for a white sauce, or leave its natural yellow color from the butter and oil. You may also use all oil instead of half butter and oil. Though butter adds flavor. This is a great onion gravy recipe without having to use any meat drippings. I used it over my Gluten Free Toad in the Hole recipe.
Gluten Free Onion Gravy Recipe
A flavorful onion great, perfect for Toad in the Hole, an English favorite.
- 1 Tablespoon oil (I use extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 Tablespoon butter or dairy-free buttery spread
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, minced or grated (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon potato starch (or cornstarch)
- 1 cup low sodium gluten free chicken broth (or make it vegan with vegetable broth)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add butter and oil to a small sauce pan on medium heat until butter is melted.
- Add onion (and garlic, if using); saute for about 10-15 minutes, or until very tender. If using garlic, add it to the pan last and cook for 1 minute.
- Bring heat to medium-high. Be careful not to burn the garlic. Stir in potato starch; and gradually pour in chicken broth; stir until thickened.
- If you wish a smooth sauce, pour into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.