This gluten free sponge cake is a great way to have your cake and eat it, too! – any way you desire. Fill it with sweetened whipped cream or custard, and strawberries, to make a gluten free shortcake. If you make mini shortcakes it will almost be like those little sponge cakes you can purchase in a package during strawberry season. Just halve them if you prefer that size. Add chocolate ganache to middle and top layers or one or the other; add strawberries or cherry pie filling; and add whipped cream or custard to both or just one layer. You may also break this gluten free sponge cake in pieces and create a parfait. The possibilities are endless! See all of the gluten free recipes below.
Whether it's strawberry season or not, you can make gluten free strawberry short cake with frozen strawberries and this wonderful gluten free sponge cake; or make a 2-layer cake!
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated when ready to use
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon boiling water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup Carla's Gluten Free Cake Flour Blend, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (if not using a flour mixture which contains baking soda)
- 1/3 cup filtered water
- 4 1/2 teaspoons tapioca starch or cornstarch
- 8 oz. thawed, frozen, unsweetened strawberries, sliced, including juice
- 1/3 cup filtered water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- See The Perfect Whipped Cream Recipe
- See the Gluten Free Ganache Recipe
- Grease an 8 - 10-inch spring form pan or 4 mini spring form pans. Line bottom with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat egg yolks and sugar on high for 3 minutes, scraping bowl if needed.
- Pour in hot water a tiny bit at a time over about 1 1/2 minutes while mixer is running on high speed. You want to beat air into the batter.
- Allow to cool for 2 minutes and then add in vanilla; blend in well on low speed.
- Gradually add flour, mixing on low speed until smooth.
- Pour mixture into another bowl. Clean out mixing bowl and beater(s). Beat egg whites to firm stiff peaks, about 2 - 2 1/2 minutes in a KitchenAid mixer,
- Add cake batter, and fold into egg whites by hand or with your mixer's paddle tool (or dough hook, if that is all you have) on very low speed. Over mixing will cause those air bubbles in your egg whites to pop, creating a heavier cake.
- Pour into prepared 10" spring form pan or distribute even amounts in 4 mini spring form pans, a little more than half full; smooth out the tops (do not hit on counter to even, as this will cause the air bubbles to surface or pop).
- bake for about 25 minutes or until the cake springs back up when pressed with finger tips.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes in pan. The sooner removed, the better.
- Unlock spring form pan. Turn upside down onto a cooling rack lined with parchment paper. Gently remove the spring form ring. With the tip of a sharp knife, separate cake edges from bottom disk, if necessary. Remove parchment paper. Allow to cool completely upside down on parchment lined cooling rack. To speed up cooling, flip over once.
- Slice in half, horizontally, and add your filling(s) of choice and top with your favorite topping.
- Serve immediately; freeze assembled; or sliced in half, ad parchment paper between slices and store in freezer bags. Thaw at room temperature for 1-2 hours, depending upon size.
- Mix water and starch together in a saucepan.
- Add strawberries and sugar; stir gently with a fork.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil until thickened, about 1 minute, or so.
- Refrigerate until well chilled or place in the freezer to speed up cooling. Stir occasionally. Do not allow to freeze. Use to layer shortcake slices.
Double recipe for a 3-layer (1 1/4-inch) sponge cake and use 3 8-inch round pans; keep baking time to 25 minutes.
If you prefer smaller mini shortcakes, bake in 2 batches, filling mini pans between 1/4 and 1/3 the way with batter and lessen baking time, if needed.
If you desire to make 5 mini shortcakes, fill each about half way full.
Reserve 4 - 5 strawberry halves prior to cooking strawberry sauce. Once the sauce is chilled, coat with the sauce and add to top of cake for garnish.
You may also be interested in Gluten Free Tiramisu Cake which calls for this gluten free sponge cake recipe.