I broke all the rules in making carbonara. Thus the title, “Gluten Free Casserole”. I used penne pasta, no egg yolk, mozzarella instead of Parmesan, and more. It is so yummy! You can make this an easy recipe by using pre-cooked gluten-free crumbled bacon. This dish has a gourmet flavor, as I used a bit of white wine. However, you can substitute the wine with additional chicken broth. Add veggies, if you desire. I am looking forward to trying this gluten free casserole with fresh baby spinach. I surely would pay for this dish in a fine restaurant.
Gluten Free Casserole: No Egg Chicken Carbonara
A delicous egg-free gluten free chicken carbonara.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil, butter (or buttery spread)
- 1/4 cup gluten-free bread crumbs coarsely ground or cubed
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded, at room temperature
- 1 lb. (2 whole) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced (1 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- seas salt and plenty of fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup gluten-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 lb. (12 oz.) gluten-free pasta (I used Trader Joe's organic brown rice penne pasta)
- Melt butter in a skillet on medium-high heat; add bread crumbs and cook until golden brown; set aside.
- Bring a pasta pot water, (salted if desired), to a boil; cook pasta 2 minutes short of what the directions call for.
- Brown and cook the chicken in a skillet, preheated with bacon grease (or olive oil, if using premade bacon).
- Add the garlic and basil; stir and cook for about 1 minute.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken broth and wine; toss to coat; turn burner off; set aside.
- Drain pasta and return the pasta to the pot.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of cheese and chicken mixture.
- Toss well; add to a bowl or casserole dish; top with 1/4 cup more cheese.
- Microwave on low or heat in the oven until cheese is melted.
- Toss well with until all of juices at the bottom are absorbed in the pasta.
- Top with bread crumbs and garnish with coarsely chopped parsley.
- Serve with a large salad or add veggies.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.