Super Bowl Sunday is right around the corner, and this gourmet, homemade cheese popcorn will surely be a crowd pleaser. Make it with fresh or gluten-free powdered cheddar cheese. I’ve supplied the link to my homemade version of powdered cheddar. I hope your crowd enjoys this recipe and that you enjoy the game!
A recipe for homemade cheese popcorn using three cheeses, powdered or fresh cheddar, Parmesan, and Romano. This recipe is naturally gluten free. A delight!
- 3 Tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/4 cup popcorn kernels
- 1 cup cheddar cheese powder (homemade recipe or gluten-free brand
- 1 cup grated Parmesan/Romano cheese (fresh or Kraft) (or additional cheddar)
- Salt, to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Preheat oil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. To test whether the oil is hot enough, place a popcorn kernel into the oil and cover the pan. When the kernels pops, the oil is heated to the proper temperature.
- Remove saucepan from the heat, add remaining popcorn kernels in a single layer, and cover the pan.
- Return to heat with lid slightly ajar. Once the popping begins, shake the pan back and forth to prevent them from burning.
- Once the popping slows down, remove pan from heat, and transfer the popped popcorn to a large bowl.
- Immediately sprinkle cheeses over hot popcorn and toss to distribute.
- Distribute popcorn in an even layer on baking sheet and bake for 3 minutes or until just melts.
- Season with salt, if desired, and serve immediately.
*You may substitute 2 cups of freshly shredded cheddar cheese for the cheese powder.
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.
Visit Carla’s Gluten Free Online Store.