Super Bowl Sunday is right around the corner, and this gourmet, homemade cheese popcorn will surely be a crowd pleaser. Make it with fresh or gluten-free powdered cheddar cheese. I’ve supplied the link to my homemade version of powdered cheddar. I hope your crowd enjoys this recipe and that you enjoy the game!
A recipe for homemade cheese popcorn using three cheeses, powdered or fresh cheddar, Parmesan, and Romano. This recipe is naturally gluten free. A delight!
- 3 Tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/4 cup popcorn kernels
- 1 cup cheddar cheese powder (homemade recipe or gluten-free brand
- 1 cup grated Parmesan/Romano cheese (fresh or Kraft) (or additional cheddar)
- Salt, to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Preheat oil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. To test whether the oil is hot enough, place a popcorn kernel into the oil and cover the pan. When the kernels pops, the oil is heated to the proper temperature.
- Remove saucepan from the heat, add remaining popcorn kernels in a single layer, and cover the pan.
- Return to heat with lid slightly ajar. Once the popping begins, shake the pan back and forth to prevent them from burning.
- Once the popping slows down, remove pan from heat, and transfer the popped popcorn to a large bowl.
- Immediately sprinkle cheeses over hot popcorn and toss to distribute.
- Distribute popcorn in an even layer on baking sheet and bake for 3 minutes or until just melts.
- Season with salt, if desired, and serve immediately.
*You may substitute 2 cups of freshly shredded cheddar cheese for the cheese powder.
Visit Carla’s Gluten Free Online Store.
In collaboration with MassGeneral Hospital, 50% of all proceeds are donated to their Center for Celiac Research and Treatment.