One of my favorite entrées is chicken or veal marsala. I had the craving, but no chicken or veal in the house. Oh my! Onto another experiment I went…and here it is, steak marsala, gluten-free, of course! After making the test recipe for just my husband and I, we had a guest over and I made it again. I hope you enjoy it as much as our guest did. She had that, “That was yummy!” and said, “That was really good!” – as if she were surprised that she enjoyed it that much.
A delicious steak marsala recipe with a wine and mushroom sauce, made gluten free.
- 1.4 lbs. beef top sirloin steak
- 1/4 cup dried mushrooms
- 1/3 cup Marsala wine
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic, grated
- 3/4 cup yellow onion, thinly sliced
- Extra virgin olive oil, for frying
- 2 Tablespoons butter, for sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons potato starch
- 3 teaspoons filtered water
- Allow steak to reach room temperature to ensure even cooking.
- Soak mushrooms in a mixture of broth and wine.
- Brown steaks on both sides on medium high to high heat. Cook each side on medium heat until it reaches the desired temperature; remove from heat and keep steaks warm.
- In the same frying pan, melt butter, sauté onion and when almost translucent add in garlic and sauté about 1 minute. Add mushrooms mixture and sauté for about another 2 minutes.
- In a bowl or cup, combine water and potato starch; shake until well blended.
- Bring sauce to a boil; add flour mixture to the pan and stir.
- Pour over steaks and serve warm.
To make this dairy-free skip the butter and add more olive oil, or use a dairy-free substitute.