You heard it right, chocolate chili! I also threw in some bacon. I love to keep my guests guessing what the ingredients are in this chili. My daughter made a similar chocolate chili recipe, and she won an award for it. Unfortunately, for me, it contained tomatoes. Being allergic to tomatoes, I created my own chocolate chili recipe, gluten-free of course. You can top this chili with cheese and/or gluten free bacon bits. I over cook some bacon to garnish the top and then add additional juice from the chili on top. It gives it a nice sheen, yet leaves the crunch for added texture. This is yet another one of my no tomato chili recipes. Enjoy!
Chocolate Chili with Bacon (Gluten-Free)
The first time I heard of chocolate chili, I have to admit, I was very surprised. However, it is very tasty. I love to keep my guests guessing!
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons oil (I used extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 lb. ground beef or bison
- 1-15 oz. can white beans (or kidney beans), drained and rinsed several times
- 4 slices gluten free bacon, cooked and chopped
- 3/4 cup gluten free chicken broth (I used O Organic's low-sodium chicken broth)
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 3 Tablespoons chocolate (your favorite)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bacon bits, homemade (optional topping)
- Preheat skillet with oil.
- Add onion and saute until almost tender.
- Add beef/bison and stir occasionally until brown.
- Add beans, bacon, seasonings and chicken broth; stir; bring to a boil; and simmer for about 15 -20 minutes.
- Add in chocolate; stir until melted. Add in additional chicken broth if you'd like more sauce.
- Top with homemade bacon bits and/or shredded cheese or cheese substitute if you're dairy-free.
For those on a gluten free dairy-free diet, Enjoy Life makes great gluten free dairy-free chocolate semi chocolate morsels.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.
Don’t miss another recipe. Sign up at the top left corner of this page and receive our monthly newsletter.