Though I am allergic to pumpkin, whenever I get the craving for it, I create a new recipe and have my husband taste-test it. I have never had pumpkin cornbread before, but it sounded so good. To create this recipe, I began with my Gluten Free Cornbread for Stuffing and simply substituted the milk with pumpkin puree. My husband gobbled up a piece of this gluten free pumpkin cornbread and asked for more. He didn’t realize it was cornbread at first. Once he had a piece topped with his usual margarine, he said it was moist, with a typical cornbread flavor and texture, with a slight taste of pumpkin. Without the butter on top, he said it was a bit dry, like regular cornbread. He loved it, as I hope you will.
Gluten Free Pumpkin Cornbread (Dairy-Free Options)
A delicious gluten free pumpkin cornbread recipe that you can bake up in a square dish or muffin pan. The pumpkin creates moisture as well as fall flavor.
- 1/2 cup Carla's Gluten Free Bisquick Mix Recipe
- 3/4 cup Gluten Free Cornmeal
- 1/4 cup light or golden brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree (Libby's) (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/3 cup neutral-flavored cooking oil (I used extra light in flavor olive oil)
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter (or Earth Balance dairy-free spread), melted and slightly cooled
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F.Grease an 8 x 8-inch pan and set aside.
- Add Whisk together bisquick mix, cornmeal, brown sugar, and salt to a medium bowl.
- Create a well in the center and add pumpkin puree, oil, melted butter and beaten eggs. Stir until all ingredients are moist. The batter will be very thick.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 30 - 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.