Mid business taxes, and in a rush for a quick lunch I popped my head in the frig for a quick gluten-free sandwich and saw some cheddar cheese. I haven’t had a grilled cheese sandwich in a couple of years, but just didn’t want a plain one, but one more on the style of California cuisine. I pictured sautéed onion and roasted peppers, but no time for that! I decided to spread my bread with some basil paste and layer each slice with cheddar cheese and plop it in the frying pan. Great and fast! I loved it, but did miss the sautéed veggies! Just remember, a gluten-free grilled cheese sandwich doesn’t have to be plain. Add any of your faves, including meat, such as chicken, bacon, etc. If you’re in a rush, this one is sure to please!
Gluten-Free Basil Grilled Cheese Sandwich
A basil grilled cheese with options of grilled onion, peppers and avocado. So delicious!
- 2 slices Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread
- 2 slices cheese (your favorite variety or Daiya vegan cheese)
- Basil paste (or pureed fresh basil)
- Oil or butter for frying
- Sautéed onion (optional)
- Roasted peppers, mushrooms, etc. (optional)
- Sliced avocado (optional)
- Oil or butter a frying or grilling pan with butter or oil and preheat on medium-high.
- Spread basil onto inside of bread slices and top each slice with cheese.
- Fry each slice separately in pan, cover to melt cheese. (peak under the bread to ensure it is not burning. Once desired browning has occurred, lower heat and keep covered until cheese is thoroughly melted.
- If using, top one side with vegetables
- Place slices together and serve warm.
Allergens depend upon the bread you use.
For sugar-free, substitute honey or agave for sugar nectar/syrup in any of the bread recipes.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.