Gluten free Spanish rice without tomatoes you ask? With tomato allergies dishes are challenging enough, without even considering the gluten-free diet. So when cooking Mexican food I need to be creative. Most Spanish rice dishes are usually naturally gluten-free, but this gluten-free Spanish rice contains taco seasoning and many commercial ones may contain gluten. If you do not have gluten-free taco mix at hand see the recipe I provide below. Try it and spice up your next rice recipe!
Gluten Free Spanish Rice No Tomatoes
For those of you with tomato allergies or wish a lower-carb Spanish rice, this is perfect, and so easy!
For the Rice:
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups filtered water (or for more flavor use gluten free chicken broth - or vegetable broth for vegans.)
- 1/4 cup gluten-free tomato-free taco seasoning* (McCormick's or see ingredients below.)
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free tomato-free chipotle sauce (or hot sauce), or to taste (optional) (I use Bufalo brand)
- 1/2 medium sized yellow onion, chopped finely (optional)
For the Homemade Taco Seasoning:
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons potato flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dehydrated onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, ground is preferred
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (I used evaporated cane sugar)
For a Sweet and Smoky Version:
- 2-3/4 cups chicken stock* with a dash more gluten-free chicken bouillon (or 1-3/4 cups + 2 tablespoons for 2 cups of Instant Rice)
- 1-1/2 cups long grain rice
- 3/4 cup chopped onion, sauteed
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced and sauteed
- 2 teaspoons ground chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/16 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 packet stevia (or sugar, to taste)
For the Taco Seasoning
- If making homemade taco seasoning, mix all of the ingredietns together and store in an air-tight container until ready to use.
For the Rice
- In a medium sized pot add water or gluten-free chicken broth, rice, seasoning, and if using, gluten-free tomato-free chipotle sauce or hot sauce; stir and bring to a boil.
- Once rice comes to boil, cover and lower heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes. Remove rice from heat and allow to steam for an additional 20 minutes or until tender.
- In a preheated, pre-oiled frying pan and sauté onion until translucent; set aside.
- Once rice is cooked, toss in sautéed onion with a fork, keep covered until ready to serve.
Serve with some seasoned beef: add some taco seasoning and 1/4 to 1/3 cup water to 1 lb. of browned ground beef and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes.
Serve along some gluten-free beans.
Serve with a salad.
*Broth: I like to use half chicken and half beef broth when I'm serving beef.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.