I needed to do a review for Schar’s pasta for my gluten free gift baskets website and decided to create a new gluten free pasta casserole recipe just for the occasion! What’s more Italian than pasta and Italian sausage ? My husband and I not only enjoyed the dish, but Schar’s tagliatele pasta, as well. The pasta contains mainly corn and tastes much like regular, glutenous egg noodle pasta. It was a real treat! If you do not eat corn, then by all means use a gluten-free brown rice pasta. Jovial and Tinkyada are the best I’ve ever eaten!
Gluten Free Italian Sausage Pasta Casserole
One of my favorite, most flavorful gluten free pasta casserole recipes!
- 3 gluten-free mild Italian sausages (Brands: Johnsonville, NY Style)
- Filtered water, about 1/2 cup
- 1 1/8 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/8 cup yellow onion, chopped
- Handful of fresh basil, chopped; or 2" basil paste
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 6 oz. gluten-free pasta (I used Schar's tagliatele)
- With a sharp knife, poke about 4-5 holes on each side of each sausage and place in a frying pan.
- Add just enough water to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Place on stove and heat on medium high to high; cook until water is evaporated.
- Turn heat down to medium to medium high and fry until nice and brown on all sides, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Drain grease from pan.
- Reheat pan and add onion and bell peppers; saute until tender. If using, add in basil and cook additional 2 minutes.
- While vegetables are cooking, slice sausages; then add to the pan once vegetables are tender.
- Add in either gluten-free chicken broth, white wine or champagne. I used champagne. Stir until broth/wine/champagne emerges with other flavors.
- Add olive oil to cooked pasta and toss.
- Top pasta with sausage mixture. Toss before serving or serve each plate individually with sausage atop pasta.
- Coat a non-stick frying pan with a little olive oil. Preheat and add left over casserole. Add about 1/4 cup or so of broth, wine or champagne; stir, cover, allow to steam, and stir occasionally until warm through.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.