While I have a few gluten free cake mug recipes, I had not yet developed a muffin in a mug recipe yet. Wanting a bit healthier version of the cake mug recipe, I decided to add a bit of flax seed meal to the cake recipe and add some blueberries. To make a cake version, substitute the 1 tablespoon of flax seed meal for 1 tablespoon additional flour. This gluten free blueberry mug cake makes a fast snack/dessert!
Gluten Free Blueberry Muffin in a Mug
A quick, single-serving of gluten free blueberry muffin in a mug recipe. Top with powdered sugar or whipped cream for a fast dessert.
- 1-12 oz. mug
- 2 Tablespoons butter (or Earth Balance spread for dairy-free), softened
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons granulated sugar (or Pyure Bakeable Blend Stevia, for sugar-free)
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon Carla's All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour Blend recipe
- 1 Tablespoon ground golden flaxseed/flaxseed meal (or more flour for cake-like texture)
- 3/8 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 1/16 teaspoon (pinch) salt
- 3 1/2 Tablespoons non-fat milk (or dairy-free substitute)
- 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons frozen blueberries
- Oil a 12 ounce mug and set aside.
- In a small bowl, microwave butter and sugar just until butter melts. Stir and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add vanilla to the milk; and add this mixture to the flour mixture.
- Add the butter/sugar mixture to the flour mixture. Stir them together until smooth.
- Spoon one-third of the cake batter into the bottom of the mug and top with 1 tablespoon blueberries.
- Add the other third and another tablespoon blueberries.
- Top with last third of the batter and top with 1/2 tablespoon of blueberries.
- Microwave for about 60 seconds on high (you may wish to try medium for microwaves over 1200 watts). You want to stop the cooking when it reaches the top of the mug.
- Continue to microwave in 10 second intervals until cake is fully cooked. Once it stops falling upon stopping the microwave, you know it's done. Overcooked muffins will be gummy in texture.
- Set aside to cool. If desired, top with whipped cream or confectioners' sugar. The texture of the cake is chewy when served hot, or cake-like when cool. (Vanilla ice cream is also an excellent choice in place of whipped cream.
Don't eat it while it is still warm or it will taste too gooey/starchy.
It rises higher if you make the cake recipe (all flour and omit the flax seed meal).
For a gum-free version, use the flaxseed meal and omit the gum in the flour blend recipe.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.