A luscious cream filling wrapped with moist yellow cake, topped with a thin chocolate ganache makes these gluten free Boston cream cupcakes the most delicious dessert you’ll ever have. Boston cream pies was a favorite of mine since I was a child. Now you can have them, too, in individual-size portions. They are so easy to serve when you’re having guests. One of my gluten-eating guests asked for one to go!
Last updated August 22, 2017: Changed method of adding sugar.
In addition, here is the lighter textured cake version: Lighter Gluten Free Boston Cream Cupcakes.
Gluten Free Boston Cream Cupcakes
If you enjoy Boston cream pie, you'll these gluten free Boston cream cupcakes. Consider serving them a spoon of pastry cream on the side. Custard lovers will thank you.
- Make the pastry cream recipe in the above link. Refrigerate to chill. (You'll have leftovers. It's fabulous. Eat plain or with other desserts.)
- Make the ganache in the above link using at least 1/2 cup additional cream. Set aside or refrigerate to cool, stir in even more cream until it easily spreads. You do not want the chocolate to set.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners and spray the inside with gluten-free oil; set aside.
- Cream the butter on medium high speed in the bowl of your mixer. Add the sugar a little at a time and mix on medium speed until light in color and fluffy.
- Add one egg at a time and mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- Add vanilla and mix on medium speed until incorporated.
- Add the flour blend and sprinkle the salt on top of the flour. Mix on medium speed while slowly pouring in the milk. Once it is creamy, stop the mixer.
- Distribute the batter among the muffin cups in the prepared pan. Bake for 16 - 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in one comes out clean.
- Allow to rest in the pan until you can comfortably transfer them to a cooling rack, 2 - 4 minutes.
- Once completely cool, snip off about 1/4-inch of one corner of a pastry or plastic storage bag. Fit with a small, narrow decorating tip. Fill with pastry cream. Place the tip in the center of each cooled muffin and squeeze some cream into the center until cupcake plumps.
- Wipe any excess cream from the top and frost them with a little chocolate ganache.
- Refrigerate until you are ready to serve them. If you have leftovers, place several toothpicks in the cupcakes near the edge of the plate as well as throughout. Then wrap the plate in plastic wrap.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.