When you’re craving cinnamon rolls, you don’t have to go through the laborious task of making actual cinnamon rolls and rolling dough. This gluten free cinnamon roll mug cake is just as delicious and has the same great texture without even rolling out any dough. It’s not messy either. Your gluten-eating friends won’t even know it’s gluten free. They’re that good!
Recipe You’ll Need: Carla’s All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour Blend recipe
For Sugar-Free: Pyure Bakable Blend
Gluten Free Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake
For the Filling:
- 1/2 tablespoon melted unsalted butter
- 1-1/2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the Dough:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or Earth Balance spread for dairy-free, softened
- 1-1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar or Pyure Bakeable Blend Stevia, for sugar-free
- 3-1/2 tablespoons non-fat milk (or dairy-free substitute)
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon Carla's All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour Blend recipe
- 1/2 tablespoon ground golden flaxseed/flaxseed meal or more flour for cake-like texture
- 1/4 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1/16 teaspoon pinch salt
- 3-1/2 tablespoons non-fat milk or dairy-free substitute
For the Glaze:
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon milk of choice
To Make the Cinnamon Filling:
To a small bowl or cup, add 1/2 tablespoon of butter and melt in the microwave. Stir in the dark brown sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
To Make the Dough:
Melt the 2 tablespoons of butter in the mug, in the microwave. Swirl the melted butter around the mug to coat the sides and transfer the remaining to a small bowl.
Add the 1-1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar and milk to the melted butter. Microwave again just until warm; stir and set aside.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour blend, flaxseed meal, baking powder, yeast, and salt; add to the milk mixture and whisk until smooth and slightly thick, about 1 minute.
Reheat the cinnamon filling for a few seconds until it melts. Add one-third of the dough-batter to the prepared mug. Top with a little less than half of the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Repeat. Add the last third of the dough and top with a tiny bit of the remaining cinnamon mixture. Set aside in a warm environment (80 - 86ºF). (A preheated toaster oven that has been turned off works well or a dough proofer.)
Microwave on high for 1 minute. If the cinnamon roll falls when the 1 minute is over, microwave for an additional 10 seconds (based on a 1200-watt microwave). Do not overcook or it will result in a gummy cinnamon roll. Set aside to cool to room temperature, about 25 minutes.
To Make the Glaze:
Whisk together the glaze ingredients. Immediately, prior to cooling completely, top the cinnamon roll with the glaze.