While Progresso makes a creamy gluten free mushroom soup, they do not make a gluten free cream of chicken soup. With that said and a recent request from a Facebook follower, I thought you would appreciate this recipe. Make it super rich using cream, dairy-free with your choice of milk, or with any fat content of cow’s milk. Enjoy!
Gluten Free Cream of Chicken Soup
A tasty gluten free cream of chicken soup recipe you can make super rich or dairy-free. Serve it as a soup or in your favorite casseroles and recipes.
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 1/2 cups gluten free chicken broth (or stock homemade stock)
- 3 1/2 cups whole milk, (or heavy cream, or dairy-free milk), divided
- 5 garlic cloves, minced or grated
- 2 sprigs of parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/16 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 cup white or brown rice flour
- In large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute until tender, about 6 minutes.
- While onions are cooking, heat milk and broth in a separate sauce pan just until hot. Do not allow it to boil.
- Add garlic, parsley, thyme, bay leaf, salt, pepper and paprika and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add flour and stir until combined.
- Increase heat to medium-high, slowly pour in the milk and broth mixture, whisk constantly, and cook until thick, about 5 minutes.
- Using an immersion/handheld blender, puree until creamy or allow to cool slightly and puree in a stand blender in batches.
- Serve warm or use in your favorite recipes.
Dairy-free milk may need additional flour, depending upon your thickness preference.
For recipes calling for condensed gluten free cream of chicken soup, use less milk or cream.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.