Gluten Free Popcorn Chicken
Bite-size, tender chicken bites you'll swear is gluten free KFC popcorn chicken.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 2 cups buttermilk (or 2 tablespoons lemon juice + rice milk) (optional)
- 1 recipe KFC Seasoning and Flour Mixture only
- KFC Seasoning and Flour Mixture only
- 1 recipe Honey Mustard Sauce (optional)
- Gluten-free ketchup optional
- Gluten-free red chili sauce (Dynasty) (optional)
Marinate the chicken in buttermilk overnight, or at least 2 hours. (This step is optional but tenderizes the chicken.) Drain and discard buttermilk. I like to allow them to drain on a wire rack over a baking sheet while I prepare the other ingredients.
Preheat deep-fryer to 375°F for crispy chicken or 340°F for a soft crust.
Follow the instructions to make the chicken at the above link, but omit the brining step.
Fry as instructed but for a shorter time, just until golden brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes at 375°F or until golden brown and cooked thoroughly, depending upon the size of the chicken pieces.
Serve with any of the suggested sides in the above-linked recipe. Use honey mustard sauce or ketchup for dipping. You can even make an Asian version by using sweet red chili sauce for dipping.