For busy weeknight dinners, this gluten free Mexican shredded beef (or chicken) recipe comes in handy. If I have a busy week ahead, on a weekend, I make a batch of this using beef and another with chicken to keep on hand for various meals. You can freeze them, as well. Enjoy!
Gluten Free Mexican Shredded Beef
A gluten free Mexican shredded beef recipe for people on the go. You use chicken or beef.
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 lbs. beef stew meat, trimmed of excess fat (or cubed, boneless, skinless chicken breasts*)
- Enough gluten-free beef broth to cover beef
- 1-1/2 large onions, chopped (1 onion for chicken)
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 (7-ounce) can La Victoria diced green chiles, drained
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 dashes ground cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free chipotle sauce (or 1 packet of NuNaturals Stevia or 1 teaspoon sugar + 1 teaspoon gluten-free hot sauce)
- 2/3 cup reserved gluten-free beef broth (or 1 slightly heaping teaspoon Organic Low-Sodium Better Than Bouillon and water or homemade for soy-free) (or 1 - 1-1/2 cups of their Organic Low-Sodium Chicken Broth, if using chicken)
- Preheat a heavy skillet with 1 tablespoon oil, add to beef and cook until brown.
- Add enough broth to cover, lower heat, cover pan, and cook for approximately 2 hours or until fork-tender. (If using chicken, just fry the chicken in oil and set aside.)
- Remove beef from broth and reserve 2/3 cup broth for later use.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a large skillet and preheat.
- Add onions and saute until translucent, about 7 minutes.
- While onions are cooking, shred beef or chicken using your fingers or cut with two knives.
- Once onions are cooked, add garlic and diced chiles to skillet, and saute for until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add seasonings and stir to combine; cook until fragrant and seasonings are moist, about 3 minutes.
- Return shredded beef or chicken to the skillet and mix thoroughly.
- Pour in the reserved beef broth or chicken broth and chipotle sauce (or sweetener of choice and hot sauce) and simmer until flavorful, 10 - 15 minutes.
- Use this Mexican shredded beef or chicken in tacos, enchiladas, burritos, quesadillas, or flautas.
When making tacos, be sure to use a safe gluten-free brand of corn tortillas. Mission brand is now labeled gluten free.
For kids, use ground beef, omit chiles and hot/chipotle sauce.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.
See Gluten Free Tortilla Recipes.