This is one classic Italian dish that I did not grow up with, but absolutely love. You may mistake this gluten free panzanella salad for a traditional salad, but it is heartier than that. Rather than topping each salad with a few croutons, a panzanella consists of many croutons tossed within the salad. In addition, they typically do not contain lettuce. Besides the recipe below, one of my favorite panzanella salad recipes include finely diced tomatoes, hearts of celery, diced seeded cucumber, red and yellow bell peppers, and some fresh, minced garlic and basil. However, when I’m in a hurry, I throw this one together for guests. Enjoy!
Gluten Free Panzanella Salad
Make this classic Italian salad, gluten free - panzanella bread salad. Dice the ingredients fine for a salsa-like salad or keep them large for a more traditional salad.
To Make the Salad:
- Fresh herbs such as basil, parsley, etc., for garnish
- Shredded Mozzarella or grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Toss all of the salad ingredients except the croutons in a large bowl and toss.
- Once you are ready to serve the salad, add your favorite Italian dressing and toss the salad.
- Add the croutons and toss again.
To Make the Dressing:
- Whisk all of vinegar and seasonings together, add the oil, and whisk again.
The larger you make the croutons, the crispier they will remain. For a bread like texture, make them small.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.