In an attempt to create gluten free popovers, my third batch turned out like dinner rolls instead, but I thoroughly enjoyed them. So, I altered the recipe a little more to remove the creaminess to create these delicious poppers. They are yeast and leaven-free as the eggs alone act as a leavener. I hope you enjoy them.
Gluten Free Parmesan Poppers
Make these mini poppers in lieu of dinner rolls. The Parmesan cheese adds plenty of flavor and moisture.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup + 3 Tablespoons whole milk, heated, but not boiled
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese (or Kraft shaker)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 pinches of ground white or black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped basil leaves
- 6 dashes of your favorite dry herbs (thyme, oregano, etc.)
- 3/4 cup Carla's Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour Blend Recipe using cornstarch, not tapioca flour (sifting is recommended)
- Place a 24-cup mini muffin pan on top of a baking sheet and place in the oven on the center rack. Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Add the eggs to a blender or food processor and mix on high until they are foamy and light yellow in color.
- Slowly pour in warm milk while still in the mixing mode.
- Stop the mixing and add all of the remaining ingredients, in the order they are listed. If you have not yet sifted the flour, sift it directly into the blender/food processor. Mix until the batter is smooth.
- Remove muffin tin from the oven and liberally oil each tin with gluten free olive oil spray.
- Pour batter to the top of each cup and bake for 10 minutes.
- Decrease heat to 350ºF and continue to bake for approximately 25 minutes for crisp crust and 20 minutes for average.
Filling the mini muffin cups to the top will make poppers double the height of the depth of the muffin tin. I tried several different filling heights and filling them to the rim creates the best poppers.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.