After a Facebook fan tried my Zucchini Hash Browns Recipe, she asked for a recipe that would hold the zucchini together. This is a wonderful solution; however, the two recipes are quite different. These gluten free zucchini cakes contain flour, specifically, my homemade gluten free bisquick (baking mix) recipe. They are lightly sweetened, yet savory, and fluffy, yet moist. Enjoy!
Gluten Free Zucchini Cakes
Light and creamy, gluten free zucchini cakes with tons of flavor. Sweeten and savory, these delights are a wonderful way to get the kids to eat veggies.
- 1 cup Gluten Free Bisquick Recipe
- 2 zucchini (1 lb.), grated
- 1/3 cup small diced yellow onion
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, or as needed for frying
- Add bisquick mix to a medium-size bowl.
- Grate the zucchini into the bowl. Cover with several layers of paper towels and press down lightly to absorb the liquid from the zucchini. Remove and discard paper towels.
- Add chopped onion, pepper, and beaten eggs. Using a rubber or silicone spatula, mix until thoroughly combined.
- Preheat a 11 - 12-inch skillet with 3 to 4 tablespoons of oil. (For appetizers, make them a little smaller than silver dollars.)
- Once heated, scoop approximately 3 tablespoons of the mixture into the skillet scattered throughout, about 6 scoops. Using the back of the scooper, flatten the scoop ever so slightly. (They will puff up as they cook.) Fry until golden brown on each side, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Prepare a plate lined with several paper towels. Once cooked, transfer the cakes to the paper towels to drain. Serve immediately.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.