Similar to it’s baked cousin, this gluten-free macaroni and cheese recipe contains a bit of both pumpkin and cheese, but is made without egg. The pumpkin provides accents of fall and a bit of sweetness. The leeks or onions are used as a substitute to add sweetness and savoriness. Best of all, the optional bacon makes everything taste even better. No matter how you choose to make this dish, everyone will be begging for more.
Gluten Free Pumpkin Mac ‘n’ Cheese with Optional Bacon
- 6 slices (about less than 1/2 lb.) gluten free bacon (Applegate, Hormel Black Label), cooked and chopped into bite size pieces (optional)
- 2 medium leeks, whites only, halved lengthwise, rinsed and coarsely chopped (or 1 1/3 cups chopped yellow onion or thinly sliced green onion - whites only)
- 1 lb. (16 oz.) gluten free shell, elbow macaroni or penne pasta
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup white or brown rice flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white or black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup canned pure pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 cups (1/2 lb.) your favorite shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook and drain macaroni as instructed by manufacturer on package. Under cook by about 1 minute.
- Preheat skillet with a little oil and preheat over medium heat.
- Add leeks and saute until tender, about 7 minutes; and set aside.
- In 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour to make a rue and simmer for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Whisk in milk and continue to stir and cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Add salt, pepper, nutmeg, and pumpkin puree and stir.
- Add 1 3/4 cups of shredded cheese, and stir until cheese melts.
- Add pasta, leeks and bacon to cheese sauce and stir to coat thoroughly.
- Transfer to a 3-quart casserole dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until golden brown. To brown more set oven to broil and watch closely until it reaches your desired color and crispness.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes. Then garnish as desired. I used fresh basil leaves.
- Fall never tasted so good with this decadent gluten free macaroni and cheese. Pumpkin puree, leeks and optional bacon make this dish superb.
Don't have any pumpkin? Omit it altogether!
Allergen vary depending upon the brand of pasta you use. Some contain corn.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.