This recipe is adapted from Cuisinart. It is your typical easy vanilla ice cream recipe, but instead of using whole milk and whipping cream, I use non-fat milk and whipping cream, sometimes, raw almond milk, etc. If you use non-fat milk it will be lower in fat, not by much, but every little bit helps. Using almond milk raises the protein and makes it more nutritious, especially if you make your own homemade raw almond milk. I like topping it with fresh fruit or my homemade fresh blackberry topping. Either way it is very yummy!
I make this recipe for my father when he comes to visit using Lactaid milk. He’s a huge vanilla ice cream fan, though he loves my raw almond milk pistachio ice cream recipe, too!
Low-fat Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe for Machine
Save a few calories by using this gluten free low-fat vanilla ice cream recipe, without sacrificing on flavor.
- 3/4 cup non-fat milk
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 teaspoons organic vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum* (optional)
- Blend sugar, gum (if using), vanilla, milk in a mixer until sugar is dissolved, about 1-1/2 minutes.
- Add whipping cream and mix for about 30 seconds. Do not over mix.
- Turn on ice cream machine and run per manufacturer’s instructions. I have a 2 quart Cuisinart Ice Cream Machine and this recipes takes about 20 minutes to freeze.
*Gum helps provide a chew to ice cream and avoids some of the ice crystals from forming.
Once frozen, allow to melt awhile before serving to avoid iciness.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.