This gluten free ice cream cake is unique in that it is between an ice cream cake and ice cream sandwich. Use your favorite flavors or make it dairy-free. Make it your way!
Gluten Free Neapolitan Ice Cream Cake
Cool down and sweet up with this colorful, flavorful and star of the summer, gluten free neopolitan ice cream cake!
- 1/2 recipe Gluten Free Hershey's Cake
- 1 qt. vanilla ice cream
- 1 qt. strawberry ice cream
- 14 oz. gluten free chocolate, chopped
- Confectioners' sugar, as needed (optional)
- Gluten free cooking oil spray, for pan
- Make the chocolate cake recipe at the above link. Instead of making a 2-layer round cake, bake one layer in an oiled 9 x 9-inch pa. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to completely cool. Once cool, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold and firm.
- Oil a 9 x 4 x 4-inch (or 9 x 5 x 3-inch) loaf pan, or similar size. Line it with plastic wrap (or parchment paper or heavy-duty aluminum foil), leaving a 2-inch overhang on the longest sides. Spray the inside of the plastic wrap with additional; and set aside.
- Cut chocolate cake in strips as wide as your loaf pan. (If your pan is wider at the top, take this into consideration. Don't worry if the cake is in several pieces for each layer. It compacts into one layer easily.)
- Remove ice cream from freezer and set out to soften. Once soft, scoop out enough ice cream to create a thin layer on top of the frozen chocolate layer in the loaf pan. Do the same thing with the strawberry ice cram. Add a layer of cake; and repeat the process of creating three additional layers again. Top with another layer of each the strawberry and vanilla ice cream. Cover the cake with plastic wrap and freeze until firm, about 3 hours. You want it to be firm, but not frozen solid.
- Melt the remaining chocolate in a make-shift double boiler (heat-proof bowl over pot of simmering water).
- Allow cake to stand at room temperature about 10 minutes. Lift using the plastic overhang, and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Pour melted chocolate over the cake and lift to coat some of the bottom. Freeze until frozen solid, about 1 hour.
- Remove from freezer. Discard plastic wrap and transfer to a serving platter. Dust cake with confectioners' sugar, if desired. Slice and serve immediately. Cover and freeze leftovers as soon as possible.
You may have leftover ice cream and melted chocolate, but that's alright. I'm sure you'll find uses for them.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.