A soft gluten free hamburger buns recipe that you can make using a jumbo muffin pan. They’re so light and fluffy! Use this recipe to make mini gluten free hamburger buns. They’re adorable and just as soft and light!
Gluten Free Hamburger Buns – Jumbo Muffin Pan Size
So many gluten free hamburger buns are heavy or stiff. This recipe makes soft gluten free hamburger buns that are also light. Everyone will enjoy them.
For the Buns:
- 1/4 cup water, heated to 100 - 115°F
- Scant* 1 tablespoon honey, agave, or sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1/2 cup white rice flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 cup potato starch (or more cornstarch)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (or more potato flour)
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (or guar gum)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh minced rosemary
- 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 large egg, at room temperature, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk (or rice milk) (I used 1 teaspoon heavy whipping cream + remaining 2% low-fat milk)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for pan (or melted unsalted butter)
- 1 tablespoon butter or gluten free margarine, melted (or oil for dairy-free), for basting
For the Egg Wash:
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon water, for basting
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Oil a 6-cup jumbo muffin pan; set aside.
- Add honey to the warm water and stir. Add yeast and stir again. Allow the mixture to rest for at least 5 minutes or until it becomes foamy on top.
- In the bowl of your mixer fitted with the whisk/balloon attachment, add white rice flour, potato starch, cornstarch, xanthan gum, salt, and baking powder; run on low to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, milk, oil; add to the mixer. Also, add the yeast mixture. Beat on medium speed until smooth (1 minute if using a KitchenAid mixer). Gather the dough into one mound. Set aside to rise in an 80ºF environment for 45 minutes.
- Distribute the dough evenly among the 6 cups. Using wet fingers, smooth out the tops.
- Brush the tops with melted butter; set aside to rise for an additional 15 minutes.
- While the dough rises, preheat the oven to 425°F.
- If you desire shiny and darker tops as in the photo, whisk together the egg and teaspoon of water and brush on top of the risen buns. If using, sprinkle the tops with sesame seeds. (Basting with egg also smooths out the tops even more.)
- Bake on the center rack of the oven for a total of 11 minutes, rotating pan mid-baking for even browning if your oven has some hot spots.
- Increase the temperature to 500°F for 3 - 4 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow to set in the pan for about 3 minutes. Then transfer the rolls to a wire rack to cool.
- Slice in half prior to serving. Serve with egg, gluten free breakfast meat, and/or cheese, burgers, gluten free luncheon meat, or with butter. They also can be toasted.
- To store, once completely cool, freeze leftovers in a single layer in a gallon-size freezer bags. Defrost rolls in the microwave on low heat or at room temperature. Reheat by microwaving on a low temperature or slicing in half and toasting.
*Scant = a little less than
Honey and agave make the buns softer.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.