I usually make this gluten free chicken salad recipe with apples, but did not have any, therefore, substituted the apples with strawberries. It turned out great. Strawberries are not quite sweet enough now due to the season, but in a few weeks they will be. By adding a little stevia, which I do even in my apple chicken salad recipe, it sweetens up just right. You can use this chicken salad atop a salad, in a sandwich, or on celery sticks or crackers for an appetizer. This recipe is gluten-free, sugar-free and low-cal if you use non-fat Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise. A mixture of both is great, too!
Gluten Free Strawberry Chicken Salad
A sweet and savory gluten free strawberry chicken salad great for salads and sandwiches.
For the Chicken Salad
- 1 skinned, boiled and chicken breast
- 2 Tablespoons minced onion (red onion or green onion is best because of the sweetness, but yellow will work)
- 2 strawberries (or 1 large), chopped
- 1 large stalk celery, chopped
- 1/8 - 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
For the Sauce
- 1/3 cup gluten free mayonnaise (and/or Greek yogurt, if egg-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon white inegar
- 1/8 teaspoon stevia
- Fine sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Chop chicken breast meat and shred with hands; add to bowl.
- Add strawberries, onions, celery and walnuts.
- In a separate bowl add vinegar, mayonnaise and/or Greek yogurt; stir.
- Add sauce to chicken mixture; and stir.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve atop salad or in a sandwich.
If using apple instead of strawberries use about 1/2 an apple. Add some chopped walnuts, if desired.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.