My father is visiting again, and he just loves his soups! Split pea soup is one of his faves, but knowing he is ill I just had to add some fresh nutritional content. So, I not only made a split pea soup, but with added fresh sugar snap peas. Being Italian he loves the flavor of basil, so I added a bit of that as well. Along with added onion, garlic and broth he had a huge bowl filled with tons of broken up Schar’s gluten free bread sticks! Fresh, vegan, vegetarian and delicious. Enjoy!
Creamy Split Pea and Sugar Snap Pea Soup
Lots of flavor without ham or bacon, this split pea soup is an ideal, creamy, dairy free, gluten free meal.
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or butter
- 1/3 cup chopped yellow onion or leaks
- 1/4 cup scallions (green onion), whites and light greens only, chopped finely
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil (or 8 leaves fresh)
- Scant 16 oz. bag dried green peas (I had used about 2 tablespoons in another recipe)
- 5 1/2 cups gluten free chicken broth (or GF vegetable broth for vegan), divided (O Organics is GF)
- 1/2 lb. fresh stringless sugar snap peas, rinsed and ends removed
- Add oil to a medium to large sauce pan; preheat; add yellow onion and basil; saute until tender; add garlic; saute 1 minute more; add dry peas and broth; stir and simmer for 35 minutes.
- Add scallions and sugar snap peas; cook for an additional 12-15 minutes or until sugar snap peas may be cut in half with the side of a wooden spoon.
- Add half the mixture to your blender; add 1/4 cup chicken broth to both portions; stir; and place it and the remaining soup in the pan in the refrigerator to cool.
- Once no more steam comes off the soup when blown on, puree until smooth; and place both pureed portions together either back in the pan for serving or in a large storage container for refrigeration or freezing; or freeze in individual size containers.
Top with sour cream, Greek yogurt, or Parmesan cheese (my fave).
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.