I have been meaning to develop a gluten free banana bread recipe for some time now, but just could not decide whether I wanted to go for a heavier, super moist banana bread or closer to a cake-like texture. I opted for the heavy, moist one. The experimenter in me wanted to see what would happen if I added a 1/2 cup of milk (I used homemade almond milk) to what I was positive would make the perfect gluten free banana bread recipe. And boy, I am so glad that I did. It came out perfect! It tastes like real banana bread! Adding milk usually helps gluten-free baked goods, as it contains protein, but when I saw such a runny batter I became worried. No problems though. So happy, fulfilled and full! Enjoy!
A gluten free banana bread recipe that tastes like the real thing...moist, flavorful, and delicious!
- 1/2 stick (4 Tablespoons) butter or buttery spread, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar (I used evaporated cane juice)
- 2 large bananas or 3 medium, very ripe (about 1 1/8 cups, mashed)
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 egg white, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup milk of your choice (I used Homemade Raw Almond Milk.)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups Carla's Gluten-free Cake Flour Blend
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Spray oil or oil a 9x5" loaf pan.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In the bowl of your mixer, add butter and sugar and mix on medium speed until creamed.
- Add mashed bananas, eggs and milk; and and mix until well blended.
- Add flour and salt to wet mixture and blend on low-medium speed until well incorporated. Batter will be runny.
- By hand, fold in walnuts, if using.
- Pour batter into loaf pan; distribute evenly.
- Place in oven and bake for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Carefully remove from pan and place on a cooling rack, or serve immediately.
- Slice with a serrated knife.
- Store once it is completely cooled.
If you are on a nut-free diet, instead of walnuts as an add-in, use a teaspoon of poppy seeds, added directly into the batter.
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.
Read the feedback from readers below, “…tastes like real banana bread…”