Every time I hit a milestone on how many Facebook followers I have, I ask my fans what gluten free recipe they would like me to create. Gluten free biscuits and gravy was one of the recipes requested. I asked the gentleman if you wanted white or brown gravy. He desired the white, southern-style gravy. I went one step further, and made a true southern gluten free biscuit and gravy recipe by adding sausage to the gravy. This is optional, or you can even use the vegan substitute I list below. I hope my southern readers, as well as others, appreciate this delicious recipe.
Gluten free biscuits smothered in creamy, rich, southern-style, white gravy. Use sausage, if desired, or substitute it with the vegan substitute listed.
- 1 recipe Fluffy Gluten Free Biscuits
- 1 14 - 16 oz. package ground sausage (or for vegan/vegetarian: LightLife Smart-Dog Vegan Hot Dog* (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons butter (or Earth Balance Dairy-Free Spread|http://www.earthbalancenatural.com/])
- 3 Tablespoons gluten free all-purpose flour that contains gum
- 1 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream (or whole milk) (or 1 1/4 cups dairy-free milk + 1/2 cup cooking oil)
- Fine sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Make the biscuits according to the instructions in the link above.
- While the biscuits are baking, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sausage to the skillet, crumble up the pieces, and cook until brown. Drain the sausage on paper towels to absorb any excess grease.
- Drain any grease from the skillet and add the butter. Add the flour to the butter and whisk to form a roux. Slowly pour your choice of milk or cream into the mixture and whisk continuously; raise the heat to medium-high and stir until it thickens.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper, to taste.
*When using vegan hot dogs, crumble the hot dog and preheat the skillet with 1 tablespoon of oil to prevent sticking.
When using dairy-free milk, you may need to add additional flour. When adding additional flour after the milk has been added, mix it with a bit water and add it in. Bring the mixture to a boil to thicken.
See all of the Gluten Free Biscuit Recipes.