While Progresso makes a creamy gluten free mushroom soup, they do not make a gluten free cream of chicken soup. With that said and a recent request from a Facebook follower, I thought you would appreciate this recipe. Make it super rich using cream, dairy-free with your choice of milk, or with any fat content of cow’s milk. Enjoy!
Gluten Free Cream of Chicken Soup
A tasty gluten free cream of chicken soup recipe you can make super rich or dairy-free. Serve it as a soup or in your favorite casseroles and recipes.
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 1/2 cups gluten free chicken broth (or stock homemade stock)
- 3 1/2 cups whole milk, (or heavy cream, or dairy-free milk), divided
- 5 garlic cloves, minced or grated
- 2 sprigs of parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/16 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 cup white or brown rice flour
- In large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute until tender, about 6 minutes.
- While onions are cooking, heat milk and broth in a separate sauce pan just until hot. Do not allow it to boil.
- Add garlic, parsley, thyme, bay leaf, salt, pepper and paprika and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add flour and stir until combined.
- Increase heat to medium-high, slowly pour in the milk and broth mixture, whisk constantly, and cook until thick, about 5 minutes.
- Using an immersion/handheld blender, puree until creamy or allow to cool slightly and puree in a stand blender in batches.
- Serve warm or use in your favorite recipes.
Dairy-free milk may need additional flour, depending upon your thickness preference.
For recipes calling for condensed gluten free cream of chicken soup, use less milk or cream.
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.