My husband’s favorite junk food snack is onion rings. He’s never had fried cheese, though. So I just had to create a gluten free mozzarella sticks recipe. It’s crunchy and flavorful. If you want them to have a deeper color, use the chili powder. To make them yellow, add a bit of turmeric. You can spice them up of give them an Italian flare. they make great appetizers or snacks. To provide flavor, add a bit of grated parmesan cheese. If you use the shaker kind, be sure to a gluten-free brand such as Kraft. They’re also awesome dipped in the batter and then rolled in bread crumbs. That provides more texture. I also have a Gluten Free Cheese Sticks Recipe using bread crumbs. This one uses more of an onion ring batter. I hope you enjoy one of them.
Gluten Free Mozzarella Sticks
A gluten free mozzarella sticks recipe deep-fried in a batter that makes them crispy enough to hear the crunch.
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning (optional) or
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional) and/or
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional) and/or
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 3/4 cup sparkling water
- 20 Mozzarella sticks
- Gluten Free Seasoned Bread Crumbs (optional)
- Oil, for deep-frying
- In a medium bowl, whisk the white rice flour, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and if using, Parmesan cheese, together.
- Add the egg yolks and sparkling water to the dry ingredients (add more water if using Parmesan), and whisk until the batter becomes creamy. Set it aside for 10 minutes to allow the gritty rice grains to soften. If it thickens too much add additional sparkling water.
- In a deep-fryer or heavy skillet, preheat enough oil cover the cheese sticks to 375°F.
- Dip the cheese sticks into the batter and if using bread crumbs, then roll in bread crumbs.
- Using metal tongs, dip the battered cheese stick into the oil, without letting go. After a few seconds drop the cheese stick into the oil. You want the batter to cook long enough to prevent sticking to the bottom of the fryer/pan. Repeat this process with a few more, whatever amounts comfortably fits into your pan/fryer. Fry until golden brown, about 4 - 5 minutes.
- Using tongs, remove the cheese sticks, allowing any excess oil to drip into the pan. Transfer them to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Repeat this process with the remaining cheese sticks.
You can also cut the mozzarella sticks in to bite size pieces to make Mozzarella Poppers.
Some people have trouble with getting the batter to stick. Be sure you cheese is thoroughly dry next time. In addition, if that fails, dredge the cheese in rice flour first. Do not over crowd the oil otherwise it will brown well. My seasoned bread crumbs recipe work well because it contains grated Parmesan cheese. If you skip the bread crumbs altogether, it will crisp up like onion rings. In addition to the above, allow your oil to reheat before adding additional cheese sticks. Did you use a deep-fryer? That really helps. If not, be sure to use a thermometer to keep the oil at the correct temperature.
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.
Visit Carla’s Gluten Free Online Store.