Sunday, July 21 is National Ice Cream Day. I am mid perfecting a gluten free ice cream sandwich recipe and have been experimenting with a new gluten free chocolate ice cream recipe. I have made chocolate ice cream with a bit of xanthan gum, but this one turned out the best so far. Adding gum to homemade ice cream helps prevent crystals from forming and it provides a bit of chew. Using additional cream also helps prevent ice crystals and hard ice cream. There’s nothing worse than hard homemade ice cream. Enjoy!
Gluten Free Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
A homemade gluten free chocolate ice cream recipe that prevents ice crystals from forming once frozen. It's rich, creamy and delicious.
- 1-3/4 cups non-fat milk
- 1 cup + 3 Tablespoons* sugar
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (or guar gum) (optional)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (or full-fat coconut milk or half & half or evaporated milk*)
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- In a 2 quart saucepan, scald the milk by almost bringing it to a boil.
- While the milk is heating, in your food processor or mixer, blend the sugar, cocoa, and if using, xanthan gum, togethr.
- Add the eggs and blend until creamy, about 1 minute.
- While the food processor is running, slowly add half of the hot milk from the saucepan. Then add the cream and continue to mix.
- Add this mixture back to the saucepan and stir the milk and mixture together. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon until the mixture coats the back of spoon.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in vanilla.
- Cool in refrigerator until it is cold. To speed this process up, you can chill it in the refrigerator, but you will need to stir it every 20 minutes or so.
- Add the chilled custard batter to your ice cream machine according to the manufacturer's directions (20-25 minutes in a Cuisinart 2-quart ice cream machine).
- Freeze leftovers in an air tight container for about 2 hours for firm ice cream or serve immediately as soft-serve. Once frozen, thaw the ice cream for about 15 minutes or more, or microwave the container for a few seconds I microwave an entire quart that has been frozen for several days for 1 minute. Serve as desired.
*If you use evaporated milk, only use 1 cup granulated sugar.
Rocky Road Variation:
Stir in at the end, 1/3 cup mini marshmallows (most are gluten free) and 1/4 cup finely chopped almonds.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.