On behalf of my paleo diet friends, I created this gluten free pancakes recipe which is grain free and sugar free. Of course, this doesn’t prevent anyone else from dowsing it with maple syrup. Another alternative, which is what I did, is to dust them with organic powdered sugar (evaporated cane juice). I get mine from Trader Joe’s. These are gluten free, sugar free, grain free, dairy free, corn free, and soy free. These are ideal for those looking for gluten free diabetic recipes, as well as paleo. Enjoy!
A wonderful high-protein gluten free pancakes recipe that is also dairy free, casein free, grain free, soy free and corn free.
- 3 Tablespoons flax seed meal
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 large organic eggs
- 3/4 cup almond milk (or 2/3 cup water + 12 soaked almonds, blended)
- 3 Tablespoons grape seed oil or cooking oil
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups almond meal
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons gluten free aluminum free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon stevia* (I use Stevita brand.)
- In a medium sized bowl, add your dry ingredients; whisk; and set aside.
- Add 2/3 cup water and flax seed meal to the bowl of your mixer. Whip until it achieves the consistency of no-whipped egg whites.
- Add the oil, and mix again, just until incorporated. Add your eggs, and mix again. Add milk and water mix again. Finally add the vanilla and mix.
- While your mixer is running on medium-low, slowly pour in the almond meal mixture and scrape sides as needed.
- In a preoiled, preheated skillet, pour 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake; cover and cook for 5 1/2 minutes (250-260F). Flip over each pancake and cook 1 minute.
- Serve topped with warm cinnamon applesauce.
*All stevia brands vary. Some are blends. Some are pure, and others are liquid. If you are using liquid, use about 1/2 -3/4 teaspoon.
Other high protein milks may be used, even those which are not high in protein, as the almond meal provides plenty of protein already.
You may wish to cut the vanilla in half if you wish to use a vanilla almond milk, or other alternative vanilla milk.
For higher protein, and less fat, calories and cholesterol, 4 egg white may be substituted for the 2 eggs.
See more Gluten Free Pancake Recipes.