This recipe for gluten free apple crumble is delicious and easy to make. Typically, crumble recipes contain oats but crisps do not. I provide you with multiple substitutions for oats, nuts, and dairy in case you are intolerant to any of these ingredients. If not, make as suggested in ramekins or oven-safe mugs.
Easy Gluten Free Apple Crumble
Whether you make this oat-free or nut-free or both, you will be delighted in the combination of textures and flavors. It's All-American!
- 1 (21-ounce) can gluten free apple pie filling (Comstock or Wilderness) or Homemade Filing, divided
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour (or white)
- 6 tablespoons certified gluten free rolled/whole oats*
- 6 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed
- 4 tablespoons minced pecan
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter or gluten free margarine (Smart Balance or Earth Balance (vegan), softened
- Gluten free vanilla ice cream or Whipped Cream (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray four ramekins or oven-safe mugs with gluten free non-stick cooking spray (olive oil or Pam Original) or coat with oil. Place them on a baking sheet.
- If using a creme brulee ramekin as pictured, cut the apple in the pie filling smaller. Distribute the pie filling between the prepared containers.
- If using mugs, only use half of the crumble ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon, and salt. Cut the butter into the dry mixture using a pastry cutter or two two forks. Sprinkle the crumbs over the pie filling in dishes or mugs.
- Cut the butter into the dry mixture using a pastry cutter or two two forks. Distribute the crumble topping over the pie filling in mugs.
- Bake 25 minutes or until filling is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack until you can comfortably hold the mugs with your hands. Serve warm. Top with ice cream or whipped cream, if desired. To make the garnish in the photo, thinly slice an apple. In advance, dry in a dehydrator or sear it with a kitchen torch or over the flames of a gas stove.
*If you are oat intolerant, make my [Easy Gluten Free Rice Crisp Recipe||https://glutenfreerecipebox.com/gluten-free-apple-crisp/]. instead or substitute the oats with additional nuts, flax seed meal, or quinoa flakes (which are crunchy).
*If you are nut intolerant, use Raw Hemp Seeds
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.