Cheesecake is one of my favorite desserts. However, I’ve been getting a bit more creative as you can just make so many of the same old gluten free cheesecake recipes before you get bored with them. I’m always looking for something different and ran across a Caramel Cheesecake Recipe on the BBC’s website. Though all of the ingredients were listed by weight since the BBC is in Europe, I weighed all of the ingredients and converted into cups for you and made a little change. I hope you enjoy this recipe.
Gluten Free Almond Caramel Cheesecake
A rich caramel cheesecake topped with either almonds or shavings of corn-free caramel fudge dusted with powdered sugar.
For the Crust:
- Gluten Free Graham Cracker Crust with Flax recipe, without flax seed meal
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup almonds, chopped finely
For the Filling:
- 1 packet unflavored gelatin
- 3 Tablespoons boiling water
- 1 3/4 cups Creme Fraiche Substitute Recipe
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/16 teaspoon (or a pinch) of fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 14 oz.* (appx. 1 1/2 cups, depending upon brand) ricotta cheese (or [Homemade Ricotta Cheese|http://glutenfreerecipebox.com/homemade-gluten-free-ricotta-cheese/, drained well)
For Garnish Options:
- 1/2 cup almonds, coarsely chopped, for garnish (optional) or
- 1.75 oz. Caramel Fudge, finely sliced
- Shavings of Corn-Free Caramel Fudge and
- Powdered sugar, (optional)
- Make the crust according to the instruction in the recipe link above, but use an 8-inch springform pan. Be sure to substitute 1/4 to 1/2 cup of almonds for the flax seed meal/butter choices. Use a thin layer and run the crust up the sides about 1-inch, very thinly. If you have extra crust left over that is fine.
- In a small heat-proof bowl, add the gelatin, pour the boiling water over it, and stir to dissolve. Set it aside for 3 - 4 minutes, and stir it again. If it has not yet dissolved, set the bowl over a simmering pan of water and stir until it completely dissolves.
- Place the creme fraiche, brown sugars, and salt in a small saucepan, over a warm, but not hot heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Cook until the brown sugar completely dissolves. Stir it well to remove any air bubbles. Whisk in the gelatin and vanilla and then pour into a bowl; and set aside to cool.
- Place the ricotta cheese in a food processor and whip on high speed until smooth. Add the creme fraiche mixture and run again on high speed. Pour it into the crust, cover with plastic wrap, and chill overnight.
- Loosen the sides of the pan with a knife. With the bottom of the pan still attached or not, transfer the cheesecake to a large plate. Score the outside edges of the filling (not crust) with the tongs of fork, if desired. Sprinkle the top with chopped almonds or shavings of caramel fudge as shown on the BBC site and dust with powdered sugar. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
* If you'll be purchasing ricotta cheese, buy 16 oz. That will give you about 1 3/4 cups.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.
You may also be interested in:
Gluten Free Cheesecake Recipes
Gluten Free Cake Recipes
Gluten Free Dessert Recipes