While on our at-home vacation I wanted to make a few special dinners. Though this gluten-free pasta recipe is high in calorie, my husband may have ordered this dish at our favorite local Italian Restaurant, Nativo’s. However, we had it at home, all gluten-free! Alfredo sauce is often used with fettucini, but I love capellini (angel hair pasta)! I hope you enjoy this gluten free pasta as much we did. Mangia! (eat in Italian)
Gluten Free Pasta Recipe: Chicken Alfredo
A rich, creamy gluten free chicken Alfredo even your gluten eating guests will enjoy
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 5 oz. gluten free pasta (or homemade Gluten Free Egg Pasta
- Extra virgin olive oil for grilling
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup Parmesan and Romano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper (or black pepper)
- Pound chicken breasts with the smooth side of a cooking mallet, bottom of sturdy glass or bottom of a frying pan, until 1/2" thick.
- Boil a large pan of water; add a little dash of oil to water to prevent the pasta from sticking.
- While waiting for the water to boil, heat butter, cream, and water on medium heat in a large skillet or frying pan; stir until butter is melted and all is blended; turn off heat and set aside.
- Preheat grilling or frying pan with additional olive oil for cooking chicken.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water. Undercook the pasta, as it will continue to cook once removed from pan and added to the sauce. [Al dente|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_dente will be overcooked. You want it a little harder than that. If you overcook the pasta it will turn into mush when you toss it with the sauce. I cannot stress this enough.
- Add chicken to the frying pan; and cook on each side for about 6 minutes; longer for thick chicken, at least until no longer pink inside or 160 degrees F.
- Strain the pasta. If desired, add the pasta to the skillet with the cream mixture, and turn the heat to medium. Otherwise, set the pasta aside.
- Add the egg yolk, cheese and pepper; and toss well.
- Add pasta to a serving plate and top with chicken, and sauce, if not already added. Serve with the vegetables of your choice and top with additional grated cheese, if desired.
- Serve with petite green beans. To make your presentation more attractive, toss the green beans with a little olive oil, and if desired, sauté very lightly with some minced garlic.
If you do not have heavy whipping cream on hand you can add a couple of extra egg yolks and use all whole milk instead of water.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.