A picture tells a thousand words and this gluten free crumble photo is no different. Make this dessert in individual portions or into a tart using a sturdy Gluten Free Shortbread Crust. The filling is not too sweet; therefore, add more sugar to taste. I bet you can even make the filling on your stovetop instead of baking it, which would be perfect for summertime. Enjoy!
Gluten Free Blackberry and Apple Crumble or Tart (with sugar-free and dairy-free options)
A tasty gluten free blackberry and apple crumble recipe that can also be used to make a tart. For a tart, the shortbread crust is perfect as it does become soggy easily.
For the Optional Tart Crust:
- 1 recipe Gluten Free Shortbread Crust, only if making a tart
For the Streusel Topping:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (or Pyure Stevia Bakeable Blend for sugar-free)
- 1/3 cup Homemade Gluten Free Bisquick Recipe
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, margarine or dairy-free Earth Balance Spread, softened
For the Filling:
- 1/2 lb. blackberries
- 1/2 lb. apples, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar Add more (or Pyure Stevia Bakeable Blend for sugar-free)
- 1 Tablespoon brown rice flour
To Make the Crust:
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- If you are making a tart, make the Shortbread Pie Crust Recipe according to the instructions in the link above using a 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Be sure to freeze the dough as instructed. Then parbake for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the beans and parchment paper and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
To Make the Steusel Topping:
- Sift the flour, sugar and cinnamon into a bowl.
- Pour in the melted butter; and using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut the butter into the flour until crumbs form.
- In a separate bowl, add the blackberries and apple and top with the sugar and rice flour. Toss to combine and transfer to the tart crust or add to individual ramekins.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping on top of the fruit mixture and bake for 25-30 minutes until the streusel turns golden brown.
- Serve warm or cold with ice cream, whipped cream, custard or pudding.
If you are in a hurry, try to cook the filling in a saucepan on the stovetop until tender. Then scoop the filling in ramekins and top with streusel topping. Place under the broiler until golden brown.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.