There’s nothing like using real butter in a chocolate cake; however, what do you to make a gluten free dairy free chocolate cake, rich? Enjoy Life allergen-friendly baking chocolate contains dairy free cocoa butter. I used that instead of butter and cocoa powder, along with some oil, to create this light, airy chocolate cake. The cake turned out incredibly light. I topped it with gluten free dairy free whipping cream, caramel sauce, and chopped dairy free chocolate. Yum! I hope you enjoy this recipe.
Link You May Need:
Homemade Almond Milk Recipe
Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Chocolate Skillet Cake
A moist gluten-free dairy-free chocolate cake topped with creamy dairy-free whipped and dairy-free caramel sauce. A true delight.
- 1/4 cup almond milk, homemade (see above link) or store-bought (or other dairy-free milk)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup Carla's Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour Blend
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder (Featherweight brand is corn-free)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Mega Chunks
- 6 Tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Dairy-Free Whipped Cream (optional):
- 1 cup chilled Silk Dairy Free Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar (Trader Joe's Organic Powdered Sugar is corn-free)
For the Caramel Sauce (optional):
- 1 recipe Dairy-Free Corn-Free Gluten-Free Caramel Sauce
- Heat oven to 350°F. Oil a 9-inch cast iron skillet with cooking oil and set it aside.
- In a cup, combine dairy-free milk and vinegar and set aside to thicken.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and salt together, and set aside.
- In a glass measuring cup, beat egg, whisk in milk and vanilla, and set aside.
- Add chocolate chips, water and oil to prepared skillet and melt together over medium heat and just bring to a boil. This takes about 2 1/2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in the flour mixture.
- Add one-quarter of the egg mixture, whisk in, and add the remaining egg mixture, one-quarter at a time, whisking between additions, for a total of four separate additions.
- Bake batter in skillet, uncovered for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Set on a wire rack to cool.
- To Make the Dairy-Free Whipped Cream:
- Follow the instructions in the video below, but add confectioners' sugar before beating.
- Add whipped cream to the top of the cake, and drizzle it with dairy-free caramel sauce. Top with chopped nuts and/or chopped or shavings of Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Chips, Semi-Sweet Mega Chunks, or Mini Chocolate Chips.
Next time I make this, I plan on either adding more chocolate or xanthan gum as it was a bit too crumbly. It needs more weight.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.